A Peek From The Haystack: (aka:Haystack Giveaway)
by Thea Atkinson
I used to call Amazon the jungle. I’d refer to my books as being lost somewhere in the depths and needing rescue. Now, I’ve decided the most apt analogy is a straw heap where my books are nine little pieces of dried out grass somewhere in the haystack. They look the same on the surface as any other piece, so why not just pick from the top of the pile?
Like many writers, and especially the ones who self publish, I find it tough to reach my audience. Despite scads of social media and blog posts, I still don’t ‘move’ many books.
Could be a ton of things: from the covers to the blurbs, right down to the stories themselves. I’d like to think that amid the other scads of promotions that other writers are doing, that I just get lost in the pile and would-be readers that might truly love a Thea read, just don’t know I even exist.
I’m hoping to peek out of the pile of straw for a few days, and I’d love to give back to the folks who help me do so.
During the launch week of Water Witch, (UK link)I ran a contest through Rafflecopter. Wow. Was I ever impressed with the ease it offered me. The end result was a few sales, one whole review (Thankyou so much Paul Graves!), and quite a few tweets and visits to my blog.
I consider that a success. Even better, I got to give a reader $25 and a beautiful GelaSkin.
I’d like to try it again, but with a different mindset. To enter without the preamble,
Click Here: (Please note: you can also enter on Facebook on Thea’s Writing Page)
This time, I plan to give away $50 plus a Thea read of the winner’s choice. The ways to enter are:
- Blog or reblog about the contest. That means you can simply click reblog on the wordpress bar at the top of my post, or you can write your own post about the contest, or just leave a review of one of my books as a post. I’m OK with any of it. I’ve even found a way for you to post the contest rafflecopter widget right on your blog. (If you’re wordpress free, then alas, you can’t I don’t think) Just go to: the Rafflecopter site and copy/paste the appropriate widget code.
- You can buy a Thea book from just about anywhere. I just need some kind of assurance though. (like a forwarded email receipt…just be sure to delete any of your sensitive information)
- You can leave me a new review of any Thea book you’ve read! I especially like this entry type. So I’ve given you a chance to leave 2 reviews. Grin. (If you complete this option, consider adding it to your blog as another entry)
- You can Tweet about the giveaway
- You can share the giveaway on FB or Pinterest or Stumble
If you’ve already left a review for Water Witch, fill in an entry anyway as I consider that a new review
For me, it’s all about trying to peek out of the vast straw pile of books and wave at folks, call them over, introduce myself. It’s also a chance to offer folks who have given me a chance, an opportunity to get something back.
The contest will run over 6 weeks so new readers have time to read me and leave a review. I might even stick in a few extra goodies over the six weeks, so keep checking back, and do share.
If you liked this post, please do share.
- Coming Clean: Some small publishing stats from a modest seller (theaatkinson.wordpress.com)